- contact us
During the twenty-one year concert series, the GAM Foundation, Inc., has produced over 200 concerts featuring over 500 of the world's finest jazz artists. The Gam Foundation has contributed over $1,000,000.00 directly to the music departments of the Middle Schools, High Schools, and Universities participating in GAM's jazz education out-reach program, sponsored a benefit concert raising funds for scholarships for the University of Utah Music Department's Jazz Studies Program, sponsored monthly jazz concerts at the Salt Lake Valley Youth Detention Center, produced concerts featuring some of Salt Lake City's own fine jazz artists, presented Governor's "Awards of Appreciation" to Dave & Iola Brubeck and to George Shearing and produced a "Tribute to Ray Brown" created by John Clayton.
In recognition to their contribution to Jazz and the community the Gam Foundation Inc. has received:
- University of Utah's "Excellence in Music" award
- KUER's "Voice of Jazz" award
- Gordon Hanks was honored by the League of Women Voters 2010
- City Weekly honored Gordon Hanks as on of Utah's Alternative Pioneers in 2009.
- Salt Lake Tribune honored Gordon Hanks as one of the 25 most influential
- Utahns in arts and entertainment.
- Valley High School's "Continuing Support of the Arts" award
- Utah Music Educator's Association "Outstanding Service to Music Education" award
- Governor's "Special Award" in the arts
- Listed as one of the top ten attractions in the Salt Lake Tribune's annual "What's Great About Salt Lake."
- In 2002-2003, Salt Lake Magazine listed us as the best jazz series in Utah.
- In 2004, City Weekly awared us with their Slammy Award for the Best Continuing Jazz Series.
JazzSLC is a non-profit, concert series funded and produced by the GAM Foundation, an organization established in 1994 to increase the awareness, appreciation and popularity of jazz in our community. To this end, the GAM Foundation donates 200 tickets to each concert to over 45 local schools and universities which have active jazz programs for their students.
What began as a "let's try producing one concert and see what happens," has developed into a unique, nationally recognized not-for-profit jazz concert series. In the twenty years since the series' inception, Jazz at the Sheraton has both featured the top performers in jazz and proven the popularity of jazz in Salt Lake City.
Thanks to the gracious support of concertgoers, the GAM Foundation will continue to bring great live jazz to the Salt Lake area and further its endeavors in enriching the artistic tapestry of the community.
Gordon Hanks, Michael MacKay
Gordon Hanks, Amanda Lufkin, Dennis Merill, Terry McGhee, Jeff Whitely, Jay Lawrence, Caleb Chapman
Brent Frank, Ryan Lufkin, John Lopez, Marjorie Jensen, Ed Pratt, Steve Shoell, Hadley Soffe, Todd Wakefield, Jeff Whiteley
Regina Carter, Michel Camillo, John Clayton, Eliane Elias, Jeff Hamilton, Jay Lawrence
Web Designer / Developer
Gam Foundation, Jazz SLC
P.O. Box 9358
Salt Lake City, Utah