The GAM Foundation
The GAM Foundation was established by Gordon Hanks (pictured below) and Michael T. Mackay, to increase the awareness, appreciation and popularity of jazz, America’s music in our community.
JazzSLC is a non-profit, concert series funded and produced by the GAM Foundation. What began as a “let’s try producing one concert and see what happens,” has developed into a unique, nationally recognized not-for-profit jazz concert series. In the twenty-three years since the series’ inception. JazzSLC has featured world-class jazz musicians and proven the popularity of jazz in Salt Lake City. Our series began as Jazz at the Sheraton, filling only 200 seats and serving only 3 local high schools, JazzSLC has now blossomed into a series at the historic Capitol Theatre, offering discounted tickets for all students across the Wasatch Front. The GAM Foundation is still and has always been a volunteer-staffed organization with founder, Gordon Hanks and Executive Director, Amanda Lufkin serving as the only staff in the day to day operations, completely voluntary.
During the twenty-three year concert series, the GAM Foundation, has produced over 200 concerts featuring over 500 of the world’s finest jazz artists. The GAM Foundation has made it our mission to advocate for jazz education. We work with music departments of Middle Schools, High Schools, and Universities participating in GAM’s jazz education outreach program, offering discounted tickets to all students wishing to attend our concerts. The GAM Foundation has also sponsored a benefit concert raising funds for scholarships for the University of Utah Music Department’s Jazz Studies Program. Produced concerts featuring some of Salt Lake City’s own fine jazz artists. Presented the Governor’s “Awards of Appreciation” to Dave & Iola Brubeck and to George Shearing. Thanks to the gracious support of concertgoers, the GAM Foundation will continue to bring great live jazz to the Salt Lake area and further its endeavors in enriching the artistic tapestry of the community.
In recognition of their contribution to Jazz and the community the GAM Foundation has received:
- University of Utah’s “Excellence in Music” award – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- KUER’s “Voice of Jazz” award – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- Gordon Hanks was honored by the League of Women Voters 2010
- City Weekly honored Gordon Hanks as one of Utah’s Alternative Pioneers in 2009.
- Salt Lake Tribune honored Gordon Hanks as one of the 25 most influential
- Utahns in arts and entertainment. – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- Valley High School’s “Continuing Support of the Arts” award – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- Utah Music Educator’s Association “Outstanding Service to Music Education” award – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- Governor’s “Special Award” in the arts – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- Listed as one of the top ten attractions in the Salt Lake Tribune’s annual “What’s Great About Salt Lake.” – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- In 2002-2003, Salt Lake Magazine listed us as the best jazz series in Utah. – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
- In 2004, City Weekly awarded us with their Slammy Award for the Best Continuing Jazz Series. – Michael Mackay & Gordon Hanks
Board of Directors